As I continue on my working from home until I find a real job journey, here are some lessons I have learned along the way.
- The only way you can concentrate on writing is to shut off the television when Maury, Jerry and Steve are on. Unless of course you are researching how far we have fallen in society. (Advice: If you ever appear on “The Maury Show” stay out of green room.
- Do not leave the computer on if there is any chance the cat will decide they want to sleep on the keyboard. If you do and he or she does you will end up with pages and pages of unreadable nonsense. Of course there may be times when that might actually be better than what you actually write.
- Spending hours on Facebook is not really research no matter how much you try to convince yourself.
- Spending hours looking out the window is not really a “creative enhancement exercise” no matter how much you try to convince yourself.
- Listening to your favorite music station while you are writing is not a good idea, unless you want to find yourself typing the lyrics of all your favorite songs into whatever the current project you are working on It happened once before, when I came to your door, No Reply. See what I mean?
- Spending your writing time playing with software just to see what it can do is not writing no matter what you may think. You really don’t think you will need to translate your work into 47 languages do you?
- Along the same lines as number 6, spending your time searching the web for “Free Software that will write your book for you without you even being there” is not productive. It does not exist no matter how hard you look, trust me on this one.
- While eating cookies may actually be necessary to keep the creative juices flowing, eating them over the keyboard can have adverse effects on your typing abilities.
- And finally, no matter how you look at it, playing Solitaire is not writing, research, marketing or corresponding with your potential readers.
Now with all that said I am happy to say that I have completed the first draft of one of the books I have been working on, This one is about dealing with fibromyalgia and it will be coming out as an eBook soon. I need to go through the editing process and then format it and find someone to design a cover.